Monday, November 29, 2010

Dressing for the weather

"But it's the end of November. It's nearly summer. I don't want to wear long pants!"

This was part of the conversation this morning with my daughter about what she was going to wear today. I'm sure it was echoed in thousands of Sydney households. I felt the same way myself, although I had to be the voice of reason for her.

"I know it is nearly summer but it's actually quite cool today and I don't want you to get cold. You can't wear a summer dress. You have to wear long pants."

Dressing for the weather, instead of for the date.

Over coffee, I thought how much this applies to business as well. We tend to "dress" our business for the time of year, and not for the actual conditions.

Retail expects boom conditions going into Christmas and feels cheated if the profits don't roll in. But it's December! Yet out in the marketplace it may not feel like time for celebrating, with shaky conditions in interest rates, scarily high utilities bills and uncertainty about the new year.

Conference organisers expect record numbers to a function that is an annual record-breaker, simply because it has always exceeded expectations before. What if this year the event doesn't break records and delivers only a slim margin? It's common to be disappointed rather than to see that any gain in positive, even if it a modest one.

In my small business, there are times when I expect to be quiet and plan outings with my children, only to find myself in demand and working late into the night. (I'm not complaining! ;-))

What about you? Are there things that you are counting on, certain times of year that should be one thing or another? Are you able to read conditions, reacting quickly when your expectations are challenged?

No comments: