Saturday, October 11, 2008

sleep

I had thought that one (perhaps the only one) benefit of having my husband spend tonight in hospital, would be that I would have the bed to myself. So why is it that I'm still awake at half past midnight? Am I putting it off? Am I trying to guarantee that tomorrow will be even more a mini-challenge as I face a Sunday morning without my partner in parenting? Do I really want to face it without having had enough sleep?
Mornings can be tricky enough without the added complexity of getting the girls to church on time and with only me to do the policing, cajoling, consoling, rallying, jollying and (finally) bullying.
Perhaps I'm sympathising with my lovely man who tonight is in a bed with a snapped achilles tendon, hopefully sleeping a morphine-induced sleep, (no doubt with his mouth open), facing surgery tomorrow and some weeks/months without driving or walking.
Leaving his bedside this evening was not easy but I had to get home to the littlest ones in our family and big strong daddy was all on his own.

No comments: