Sunday, October 26, 2008

naughty mummy

Lately I’ve been learning about discipline and self-control thanks to my girls, who are now 2 years, 9 months. While they have demonstrated adeptness at being stubborn, inventive and cunning I have been working on skills of patience and graciousness as my authority as a parent is challenged on a minute-by-minute basis.
I was unprepared for how cheeky they could be. I’ve had inner conflict too; full of pride at their excellent use of language and vocabulary but gobsmacked by their unbelievable naughtiness. I almost want to applaud, “great sentence” while reprimanding them for what they have said (usually something I have said myself, and that really is mortifying.)
The clincher was when Lily, responding to me losing my temper in a most undignified way, said, “Oooh, mummy’s very naughty.” Yes, mummy has been very naughty indeed and life in our house will never be quite the same again.

1 comment:

Andrew Dircks said...

I reckon one of the most important things we can do for our children is [how many sentences have been written, starting like that]
let them know that we know that we (parents) do things wrong and need God's grace.